Penn State’s modern and cosmopolitan community of students, faculty, scholars, and researchers share the common goals of enhancing international understanding, knowledge, and discourse as well as serving the public interest.
With satellite internship programs in New York and Washington, D.C., the SIA offers students an automatic network of career possibilities. Centrally located with quick access to major metro areas, the campus is within driving distance of Washington, D.C. (3.5 hrs., 350 km), New York City (4 hrs., 380 km), Philadelphia (3.5 hrs., 310 km), and Toronto (5.5 hrs., 478 km).
Our program is greatly enriched by the contribution and perspectives of the current student cohort, which represents sixteen different countries: Afghanistan, Canada, China, Colombia, Ethiopia, Germany, India, Japan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Mexico, South Korea, Turkey, Zimbabwe, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Penn State’s University Park campus is home to more than 46,000 graduate and undergraduate students, including 7,500 from over 120 different countries. The University Park campus is located in State College, Pa., a vibrant college town surrounded by natural beauty. Offering students and residents many of the amenities of a larger urban environment in a clean, safe, and welcoming setting State College is often recognized as one of the country’s safest and most livable communities. Other Penn State and State College recognitions include:
- Listed as Number 10 among U.S. institutions with the most foreign students in 2012-2013, by the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Named one of the most “walkable college towns” by the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Listed as Number 8 in the 20 Best College Campuses in the U.S. by Business Insider
- Named one of the “50 Smart Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Named one of the “most beautiful suburban campuses ” by Kaplan
- Third in “Best College Town and City” by the American Institute for Economic Research
- Ranked Number 14 Best Town in the country by Niche Rankings
- Third safest metropolitan area in the United States by CQ Press
- Second "Smartest City" by Luminosity
The map below reflects the countries from where our students have come.