Integrated Undergraduate-Graduate degrees combine both your baccalaureate and master’s degrees into a five-year program. The School of International Affairs offers an IUG program available to Schreyer Scholars and undergraduate students at Penn State majoring in Asian studies, Chinese, German, Japanese, Russian, political science, or international politics. Please follow the application instructions specific to your undergraduate major, as listed below.
If you are not a Penn State undergraduate student or do not fall within the parameters of the IUG requirements below, please visit the M.I.A. Admissions website.
How to Apply - First Steps
- Carefully read through the information on this page and visit sia.psu.edu/admissions for more information
- Download the IUG long-range planner
- Talk with your undergraduate academic adviser about mapping out coursework for both degrees, using the long-range planner
- Meet with SIA's director of admissions. To arrange an in-person appointment, please contact admissions at (814) 863-5304 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are evaluated on a modified rolling admissions schedule with three separate application periods and deadlines. Students may apply by any of the three deadlines, but we encourage students to apply early as seats fill quickly.
|Application Period||Application Due Date|
|Early Action||November 6|
|Round Two||February 15|
|Final Round||March 21|
Political Science/International Politics
The following information is intended for current Penn State undergraduate students majoring in political science or international politics who wish to apply to the integrated undergraduate-graduate (IUG) degree program offered by the School of International Affairs (SIA).
- Students must be currently enrolled in the Political Science or International Politics program at Penn State
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.5 in undergraduate course work and a GPA of at least 3.5 in all major-related coursework
- Approval from the Department of Political Science
- Graduate School application with $65 non-refundable application fee
- One letter of recommendation from a political science faculty member
- Personal statement (a 1-2 page essay describing the applicant's academic goals and career plans)
- Plan of study (completed with the applicant's academic adviser)
German (B.A. or B.S.), Asian Studies, Chinese, Japanese, Russian
The following information is intended for current Penn State undergraduate students majoring in any of the above majors who wish to apply to the integrated undergraduate-graduate (IUG) degree program offered by the School of International Affairs (SIA).
- Students must be currently enrolled in one of the undergradute programs listed above
- Although the program has no fixed minimum grade point average, an applicant is generally expected to have a minimum overall GPA of 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) in undergraduate coursework and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in all coursework completed for the major.
- Preferred experience in a 400-level class
- Students must have approval from their major
Application Materials (not to be submitted until after meeting with the SIA Director of Admissions)
- Long-range plan of study (completed with your undergraduate academic adviser)
- One faculty letter of recommendation
- Personal statement (a 1-2 page essay describing your academic goals and career plans)
- Online application with $65 non-refundable application fee (not to be submitted without approval from the SIA Director of Admissions)
Schreyer Honors College IUG
The following information is intended for current Penn State Schreyer Honors College Scholars who are not majoring in one of the programs from above. If you are one of those majors, please refer to that particular information.
It is strongly advised that Schreyer Scholars work with their academic advisers and SIA Admissions throughout the entire application process. Since the application process is handled primarily through Schreyer, applicants should follow the guidelines posted on Schreyer's IUG Programs page.